Friday, December 16, 2011

SONG OF THE DAY: of Montreal - "Sex Karma"




My relationship with of Montreal has been pretty up and down. I first dove into their early records and was less than impressed. Even so, I still decided to attend their show in Buffalo this past spring and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I got very into Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? after that… Only to stop listening for a long time. Things were not looking that good after they announced their newest album (Paralytic Stalks due out February 7th) as I was just less than enthused. Their first single, "Wintered Debts," did very little to reinvigorate me. But then, while reading the story on Pitchfork, I watched the Pitchfork.tv video of them performing this track and fell right back in love. Since then it's been False Priest marathons in the car, my room, even the shower. 

Recorded with Solange Knowles (BEYONCE'S SISTER!!!!!!!!!!!), "Sex Karma" is the epitome of sexy pop songs. And I mean that both literally and figuratively. Kevin Barnes' lyrics topple John Mayer's "Body is a Wonderland" (that fucking creep) with regards to describing sexual tension between males and females. The string section doubled by the sampled erotic noises barely heard in the background set the entire tone for the song. Again, the lyrics take no prisoners ("closer your eyes and count to three, i'll kiss you where i shouldn't be"). This track screams skinny jeans, for males and females. I just want to bang a tambourine against my thighs and sing this song with either of the Knowles sisters. Hell, I'll take the mom at this point, she's gotta have some talent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment