Friday, January 27, 2012

CONCERT PREVIEW: Wilco at the San Jose Civic



Wilco is clearly taking advantage of their established nature as a band. On their tour in support of last year's The Whole Love, they have played an "Incredible Shrinking Tour" of Chicago, three sold out shows in LA, and will play three sold out shows in the Bay Area this weekend. Rather than playing one sold out show at a larger venue in each city, they are instead playing two to three sold out shows in medium sized venues. This way, they are able to reach more fans and even have more fun touring.

Having only finally dug into their discography in the past few months, I am still becoming accustomed to non-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and The Whole Love tracks. However, from what I have heard from Summerteeth, Sky Blue Sky, A Ghost is Born and Wilco (The Album), I am very positive that it will be a great show. Their genre of folk-rock with a twinge is perfect to rock out medium sized venues and then hush the crowd with a deep cut right afterwards. Their ability to reach deep into their catalogue and bring out rarities is something that is always exciting to see from any band. 

Setlist wise I am fairly sure of specific songs I want to hear. "I am Trying to Break Your Heart" is a must see as is pretty much everything else from YHF. I am a big fan of the new album and am very excited to see "I Might." They have been playing The Whole Love pretty heavy each night so I would expect to hear at least five songs from it. "A Shot in the Arm," "I'm Always in Love" and "Impossible Germany" would all be lovely to witness live and I am even a big fan of "Wilco (The Song)."

White Demin opens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment