Monday, January 9, 2012

SONG OF THE DAY: The Shins - "Phantom Limb"



The Shins’ newest track, “Simple Song”, inspired a nostalgic look back at why I love The Shins so much.  While traveling down the clichéd memory lane, I thought back to the first time I had heard The Shins.  Soon after making the realization that The Shins shared the name of a body part, I fell in love.  The first tune I had heard, “Phantom Limb” quickly rose to the tops of my iTunes play count.

“Phantom Limb” provides the feel-good, sing-along mentality that everyone loves while using complex and meaningful lyrics.  It makes you want to scream, “I love this song” at first listen.  After more careful consideration of the mysterious lyrics and meaning, a sense of insecurity and imbalance is found. The lyrics reflect the feeling of not fitting in, which everyone has experienced at some points in their life.  

“Phantom Limb” carries a much different feeling than tracks on previous albums.  One would hardly recognize it as the same band that produced old favorites such as, “The Past an Pending” and “New Slang”.  The diversity produced in albums by The Shins is as impressive as any I have heard.  Oh, Inverted World, Chutes Too Narrow, and Wincing the Night Away each show a different side of the band.  Port of Morrow (Due Out March 22nd) is looked forward to with great anticipation of what is to come after such a long hiatus.  If “Simple Song” is any kind of indication, it will be another great album.   

No comments:

Post a Comment