Thursday, October 27, 2011

Song of the Day: LCD Soundsystem - "All My Friends"



So I decided that I would give Sound of Silver a couple of spins throughout the month of October to see what all the hype really was about. Not that I was skeptical, but I just wanted to fully experience it. Sure I had heard some of the songs before, but not the album in it's entirety. I've gotta say, after the first run through, I was hooked. The songs collectively are so synced up and work so perfectly together. The flow of the album as a whole is nothing less than perfect; most importantly, the arrangement of the songs and tracklisting is top tiered. You move from up to down, again and again; you glide over these lengthy ballads to short bursts throughout the entire fifty-six minutes of sound. Of the nine songs on the record though, "All My Friends" is, deservedly, the best and most important.

The track starts with the driving piano riffs of two simple chords… Up, and up, and up. This riff continues throughout the song. The percussion builds and the baseline is faintly heard rising. "Build" is probably the best way to describe this song. Throughout it's entirety, the constantly moving parts are building and shifting in and out of the spotlight of the track. Lyrically, the song builds, telling a story of what seems like a single day in a human life, to a conclusion, where James Murphy finally gets to the title, "All My Friends." If you have friends back home, listen to the lyrics and you'll get what he is talking about. Listen for the faint guitar solos that come in and out when there is minimal singing. The entire song is a hook. No wonder this album is so highly rated. It's difficult to describe, but there is a driving force to this song that makes you think of home, and most importantly, friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment